what do you mean by ad-hoc queries?

Do you mean simple queries against a single column family aka table?

Or do you mean MDX style queries that looks at multiple tables?

if it's MDX style queries, many people extract data from Cassandra into a
data warehouse that support multi-dimensional cubes. This works well when
the extracted data is a small subset and fits neatly in a data warehouse.

As others have stated, Cassandra isn't great at ad-hoc. For MDX style
queries, Cassandra wasn't designed for it. One thing we've done for our own
project is to combine solr with our own fuzzy index to make ad-hoc queries
against a single table more friendly.