There really is only one token ring, but conceptually it's easiest to think
of it like multiple rings, as OpsCenter shows it.  The only difference is
that every token has to be unique across the whole cluster.

Now, if the token for a particular write falls in the “primary range” of a
> node living in DC2, does the code check for such conditions and instead put
> it on some node in DC1 ?

Yes.  It will continue searching around the token ring until it hits a
token that belongs to a node in the correct datacenter.

What is the true meaning of “primary” token range in such scenarios ?

There's not really any such thing as a "primary token range", it's just a
convenient idea for some tools.  In reality, it's just the replica that
owns the first (clockwise) token.  I'm not sure what you're really asking,
though -- what are you concerned about?

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>