If I were starting a new project today, I'd go with 3.0.  It's gotten over
half a year of bug fixes.

I personally would have a hard time putting a tick tock release into
production, as you're either getting new features or putting a version in
which won't receive any further bug fixes, so unless you're ready to dive
into code or backport patches (or upgrade every month thereafter to get
bugfixes in addition to new features) 3.0 is probably your best bet.

Julien Anguenot talks a little bit about migrating his cluster to 3.0 here:
http://planetcassandra.org/blog/this-week-in-cassandra-3-0-in-the-wild-5132016/