hi Nate;
    thanks for the help. Upgrading to 2.1.12 seems to be the solution for
client to node encryption on NATIVE port.

The other issue we are facing is with the STORAGE port. The reason behind
this is that we need to switch back and forth between different
internode_encryption modes, and we need C* servers to keep running in
transient state or during mode switching. Currently this is not possible.
For example, we have a internode_encryption=none cluster in a multi-region
AWS environment and want to set internode_encryption=dc by rolling restart
C* nodes. However, the node with internode_encryption=dc, does not open to
listen to non-ssl port. As a result, we have a splitted brain cluster here.

Below is a ticket opened for the exact same issue. Has anybody overcome any
such issue on a production cluster? Thanks in advance.

thanks
Sai