Thanks Jens! this was helpful, also to avoid pending compaction buildup
compaction throughput can be throttled higher. In our case however the
property batchlog throttle (batchlog_replay_throttle_in_kb) was being the
bottleneck increasing it to 10240k from default of 1024k reduced node
addition time by atleast a factor 3x. (from this it could be inferred that
batchlog is used during node addition).

An interesting hack for people on public cloud could be to get themselves a
higher cpu capacity machine during bootstrap and then downgrading it once
data is in place - as cpu essentially becomes bottleneck during node
addition.

I could find a property in docs -  consistent.rangemovement, setting it to
false which allows multiple node addition simultaneously.

*JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS -Dcassandra.consistent.rangemovement=false"*

I could test with this property in a test cluster and things appeared fine.
This constraint seems to be introduced in CASSANDRA-2434
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2434>. If we talk of
today, what could be the possible implication of multiple node addition
simultaneously, suppose if 2 min rule is taken into accord and a repair
that works!

Regards,
Bhuvan