The optimization is there.  The entire sstable can be dropped but it's not
because of the default TTL.  The default TTL only applies if a TTL isn't
specified explicitly.  The default TTL can't be used to drop a table
automatically since it can be overridden at insert time.  Check out this
example.  The first insert uses the default TTL.  The second insert
overrides the default.  Using the default TTL to drop the sstable would be
pretty terrible in this case:

CREATE TABLE test.b (
    k int PRIMARY KEY,
    v int
) WITH default_time_to_live = 10000;

insert into b (k, v) values (1, 1);
cqlsh:test> select k, v, TTL(v) from b  where k = 1;

 k | v | ttl(v)
---+---+--------
 1 | 1 |   9943

(1 rows)

cqlsh:test> insert into b (k, v) values (2, 1) USING TTL 99999999;
cqlsh:test> select k, v, TTL(v) from b  where k = 2;

 k | v | ttl(v)
 2 | 1 | 99999995

(1 rows)

TL;DR: The default TTL is there as a convenience so you don't have to keep
the TTL in your code.  From a performance perspective it does not matter.

Jon