Totally understood :)

I forgot to mention - I set the /proc/irq/*/smp_affinity mask to include
all of the CPUs.  Actually most of them were set that way already (for
example, 0000ffff,ffffffff) - it might be because irqbalanced is running.
But for some reason the interrupts are all being handled on CPU 0 anyway.

I see this in /var/log/dmesg on the machines:

> Your BIOS has requested that x2apic be disabled.
> This will leave your machine vulnerable to irq-injection attacks.
> Use 'intremap=no_x2apic_optout' to override BIOS request.
> Enabled IRQ remapping in xapic mode
> x2apic not enabled, IRQ remapping is in xapic mode

In a reply to one of the comments, he says:

When IO-APIC configured to spread interrupts among all cores, it can handle
> up to eight cores. If you have more than eight cores, kernel will not
> configure IO-APIC to spread interrupts. Thus the trick I described in the
> article will not work.
> Otherwise it may be caused by buggy BIOS or even buggy hardware.

I'm not sure if either of them is relevant to my situation.

Thanks!

-- Eric