Jonathan,

On 26 May 2017, at 17:00, Jonathan Haddad wrote:

If you have a small amount of hot data, enable the row cache. The memtable
is not designed to be a cache. You will not see a massive performance
impact of writing one to disk. Sstables will be in your page cache, meaning
you won't be hitting disk very often.

What I (and AFAIU Max, too) am concerned with is very frequent updates on certain cells and their impact on the amount of SSTables created.

Suppose I have a row that sees tens of thousands of mutations during the first minutes of its lifetime but isn't changed afterwards. The hope/assumption is that tuning C* can help having all those mutations take place in the memtable so we end up with only a single SSTable in the end (roughly speaking).

Besides such an exceptional case I'd consider high-frequent mutations an anti pattern due to the SSTables bloat.

Makes sense?

Jan