It's a better rule of thumb to use an RF of 3 to 5 per DC and this is what
the docs now suggest:
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/security.html#authentication

Out of the box, the system_auth keyspace is setup with SimpleStrategy and
RF=1 so that it works on any new system including dev & test clusters, but
obviously that's no use for a production system.

Regarding the increased rate of authentication errors: did you run repair
after changing the RF? Auth queries are done at CL.LOCAL_ONE, so if you
haven't repaired, the data for the user logging in will probably not be
where it should be. The exception to this is the default "cassandra" user,
queries for that user are done at CL.QUORUM, which will indeed lead to
timeouts and authentication errors with a very high RF. It's recommended to
only use that default user to bootstrap the setup of your own users &
superusers, the link above also has info on this.

Thanks,
Sam