We used to have monitoring scripts that parsed the output of nodetool (status,
listsnapshots), but these tools have been replaced with using Jolokia (REST
interface to JMX) — this is both more powerful and easier to parse for things
like monitoring scripts.  We *really* would have loved to have JSON output back
when we were just starting out, though.

These days we only run nodetool manually by humans from a shell; so changes to
the output would not be an issue.

- Max