A lot of things depend on actual cluster config - compaction settings (LCS
vs STCS vs TWCS) and token allocation (single token, vnodes, etc) matter a
ton.

With 4.0 and LCS, streaming for replacement is MUCH faster, so much so that
most people should be fine with 4-8TB/node, because the rebuild time is
decreased by an order of magnitude.

If you happen to have large physical machines, running multiple instances
on a machine (each with a single token, and making sure you match rack
awareness) sorta approximates vnodes without some of the unpleasant side
effects.

If you happen to run on more-reliable-storage (like EBS, or a SAN, and you
understand what that means from a business continuity perspective), then
you can assume that your rebuild frequency is probably an order of
magnitude less often, so you can adjust your risk calculation based on
measured reliability there (again, EBS and other disaggregated disks still
fail, just less often than single physical flash devices).

Seed nodes never really need to change significantly. You should be fine
with 2-3 per DC no matter the instance count.