On Sep 20, 2007, at 10:16 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

On Sep 20, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

On Sep 20, 2007, at 9:34 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:

Put your jars in <GERONIMO_HOME>/lib/endorsed dir.

Heh. How many answers can we give... ;-)

I was thinking we had lib/endorsed issues on 1.1. We don't set it as command line option when invoking java. And am not sure how well manifest.mf controls this.

Assuming this works, it's better than the two hacks. We still need a better solution, IMHO...

I also seem to recall some issue with using lib/endorsed in 1.1. But if it works then it's definitely the easiest solution. A similar issue has come up before in the context of replacing Tomcat classes and this type of approach didn't work well [1]. But that circumstance was a little different since Carver needs to add classes to Tomcat's classloader, not replace them.

I think it would be great to have some way to edit a component's environment without having to redeploy it. Redeploying a component can be difficult because the original plan is not kept after deployment. In Geronimo 2.1 (not released yet) the deployment plans for Geronimo's native components like Tomcat are available in the repository which would have made this particular task easier.

or maybe more confusing since you have to redeploy after modifying them

Another possibility that may or may not work is to deploy another tomcat web container in your configuration that does have the valve class in it. If tomcat uses the thread context classloader for constructing valves this ought to work.

Best wishes,
Paul

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-replacing-tomcat-classes- p4346533s134.html