Ok,

First, I'm writing this before I've had my first cup of coffee so I am
apologizing in advance if the question is a brain dead question....

Going from a relational background, some of these questions may not make sense
in the HBase world.

When does HBase acquire a lock on a row and how long does it persist? Does the
lock only hit the current row, or does it also lock the adjacent rows too?
Does HBase support the concept of 'dirty reads'?

The issue is what happens when you have two jobs trying to hit the same table
at the same time and update/read the rows at the same time.

A developer came across a problem and the fix was to use the HTable.close()
method to release any resources.

I am wondering if you explicitly have to clean up or can a lazy developer let
the object just go out of scope and get GC'd.

Thx

-Mike