HTable.close does very little:

  public void close() throws IOException{
    flushCommits();
  }

None of which involves row locks.

One thing to watch out for is to remember to close your scanners -
they continue to use server-side resources until you close them or 60
seconds passes and they get timed out.  Also be very wary of using any
of the explicit row locking calls, they are generally trouble for more
or less everyone.  There was a proposal to remove them, but I don't
think that went through.