I suppose suggesting a YarcData system is out of the question too --
http://www.yarcdata.com .

--

Actually though -

I think what you need to do is aggregate some of your nodes and edges, or you
need to figure out (much) subgraphs and only look at them at one time.  It is
hard for the brain to take in a huge amount of data - even visually - without
some sort of aggregation.

If you can't figure out a subgraph or way to do aggregation, they you probably
want to take a sample of the data.  Select nodes at random.

My 24" screen is configured with a resolution of 1920 x 1080.  That gives me
about 2M pixels.   If I wanted to display 2.3M Nodes, with colors and
information about those nodes, and edges between them, I'd need a much, much
larger screen.  ... Even if I had the memory and processing power.

With Gephi, a 4G JVM, and my 24" screen, I find even 20,000 nodes a bit much to
process and visualize at once.

If you want to take an approach using a browser (such as D3), you should load
only portions of the data at once.  Anything more than a few (single digit)
thousand data points at one time in a browser will drag it down pretty quickly.
  There are some examples out there of some techniques people have used.  This
one uses Neo4j as a back end -- http://getvouched.com/visualizations .   For
advanced D3 examples, check out Mike Bostock's D3 wiki rather than just on the
main page or in the zip file -- https://github.com/mbostock/d3/wiki .

Here are a couple of links with other ideas for visualizing large graph data
sets:
   http://www.visualcomplexity.com/vc/
   http://www.mkbergman.com/414/large-scale-rdf-graph-visualization-tools/