For really small changes like this I'd recommend just removing it from the file, and maintaining a patch that does that. That is of course if everything else is pretty much the same in the templates. If not, then create a derived webapp like ecomclone and just move over the view defs you need to override to the derived controller.xml file and point to your screens, etc.

-David