Making the entity engine available as a standalone module definitely has
appeal.  For example, the entity engine would sit nicely alongside an ESB
such as mule for providing a very flexible and quick to develop persistence
adapter.

When I talk about the framework being more modular, I am looking far into
the future (i.e. I'm dreaming).  The first step is to aim for
framework/application independence.

Someone is going to have to dig around in the framework from time to time.
If parts of the framework could be worked on independently of the rest of
the framework, it would make those parts much easier to maintain.