I'm sorry for pushing this off-track by mentioning hibernate. The important
point is that the technologies aren't important.  There are many
technologies that could be used for the entity engine, and as BJ has pointed
out, the ofbiz entity engine is very good. The problem for me is that the
entity engine is deeply interwined with the rest of ofbiz.  These
dependencies need to be managed.  Having a more modular ofbiz has advantages
for ofbiz as a whole and for each module.