From: Richard Eggert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thu 8/9/2007 10:31 AM
To: user@shale.apache.org
Subject: Clay not escaping strings?

I'm using Clay with HTML templates in an application on which I am working.  In
several cases, I refer to managed bean properties directly in my template text
(e.g., <p>#{mybean.prop}</p>).  I recently noticed MyFaces' ReducedHTMLParser
throwing exceptions about malformed HTML.  Not finding any problems in my HTML
template itself, I looked at the generated page source and discovered that in
cases where a managed bean property contained special characters (in my case,
less-than and greater-than signs), Clay is apparently not escaping them before
rendering them.

Is this a bug in Clay or a "feature" (or a configuration problem on my part)?

Is there any workaround aside from putting calls to
org.apache.commons.lang.StringEscapeUtils.escapeHtml() in every managed bean
"getter" method that returns a String or wrapping all references in <f:verbatim
escape="true">?

I'm using Shale v1.0.4.

Rich Eggert
Member of Technical Staff