Hi

I made it working it took me long time mainly because of  my stupidity and
little confusing dependencies between shale and tiles versions ..:) thanks for
help to everybody.

Here are important parts of my sample application may be useful for somebody:

Shale with tiles.
You must use version of tiles which is bundled with shale other versions will
not work.
With default shale web.xml from blank shale application page firstTest will be
visible at url /firstTest.faces

web.xml (only part for tiles)
<!-- Tiles -->
  <context-param>
    <param-name>definitions-config</param-name>
    <param-value>/WEB-INF/tiles.xml</param-value>
  </context-param>
  <listener>
    <listener-class>
      org.apache.tiles.listener.TilesListener
    </listener-class>
  </listener>

tiles.xml
<tiles-definitions>
    <definition name="test.definition"
                template="/template/template.jsp">
        <put name="header" value="/common/header.jsp"/>
    </definition>
    <definition name="/firstTest" extends="test.definition" >
    </definition>

</tiles-definitions>

template.jsp
<%@ taglib prefix="f" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"; %>
<%@ taglib prefix="h" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html"; %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-tiles"; prefix="tiles" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://shale.apache.org/core"; prefix="s"%>

<f:view>
  <head>
  <head>
   test
      <tiles:attribute name="header" flush="false"/> <!-- tiles documentation
talks about insertAtribute tag but that tag is not available with tiles
bundeled to shale.-->
</f:view>

header.jsp
header