Well, I can probably help you if you need it since I have gotten
through a couple of stumbling blocks myself on Portal 5.

The first thing you need to get around when using myfaces is the
classloading issues.  Websphere includes some jsf impl jars at the
server level.  For portlets, it is not really a problem because the
default is parent last so myfaces gets precedence if included in
WEB-INF/lib.  For regular servlet app on WAS though the default is
parent first, so in order to use myfaces you will need to change that
in the admin console to parent last.

>From the standpoint of will it work, I think you should be good.  If
your application doesn't start the first place I would look would be
the tlds in shale which include context listeners.  I was not able to
use shale-view with Portal 5 because it included a listener that
depended on a servlet spec that Portal 5 was not up to: servlet spec
2.4.  It would fail pretty silently and was difficult to figure out.
Portal 6 however may be up to servlet 2.4 though.

Ryan