On 10/17/07, Kito D. Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, here's a question. I know originally some people on the MyFaces team
> thought that Shale should be part of MyFaces. At the time, I know Craig
> wasn't interested. However, things have changed, and I think Shale could
> really benefit from the MyFaces community, especially since they are now
> starting to duplicate some of Shale's functionality (i.e. Orchestra's View
> Controller).

FWIW, I am supportive of the "merge into MyFaces" idea, if the MyFaces
community is interested.

Initially, I had concerns that MyFaces would be totally focused on a
JSF implementation (actually a *good thing* in the early days) and not
on extensions.  This is not a current issue -- see Tomahawk and Tobago
and Trinidad and ...

Now that MyFaces is also adding modules that are app-framework
related, it makes a lot of sense to (at least) coordinate and
(preferentially) combine the efforts to build frameworks on top of JSF
to reduce duplication of efforts.

> Thoughts?

Craig

PS:  I feel the need to add a personal note here, just so everyone is
aware of where I am investing my own  time (both for-pay and
volunteer).  My current "day job" project is a *very* large scale web
2.0 type application (it'll definitely be open sourced eventually; I'm
pretty ticked that I can't talk about it in detail now), and we're
doing the front end with Ruby on Rails.  As it stands now, I very much
like developing webapps with RoR, and am not likely to spend a lot of
time on Shale myself.  From that perspective, migrating Shale into
MyFaces makes more sense than letting it (continue to) atrophy like it
is at the moment, simply because I have spent the last 9 months or so
enjoying RoR so much that I'm not particularly interested in spending
my personal time on Java related frameworks :-).