The initializer is a tuple (0, 0) it seems you just have 0

From: "subscripti...@prismalytics.io<mailto:subscripti...@prismalytics.io>"
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 1:28 PM
To: Silvio Fiorito, Todd Nist
Cc: "user@spark.apache.org<mailto:user@spark.apache.org>"
Subject: Re: Calculating the averages for each KEY in a Pairwise (K,V) RDD ...

Thank you Todd, Silvio...

I had to stare at Silvio's answer for a while.

If I'm interpreting the aggregateByKey() statement correctly ...
   (Within-Partition Reduction Step)
   a: is a TUPLE that holds: (runningSum, runningCount).
   b: is a SCALAR that holds the next Value

  (Cross-Partition Reduction Step)
  a: is a TUPLE that holds: (runningSum, runningCount).
  b: is a TUPLE that holds: (nextPartitionsSum, nextPartitionsCount).

Under that interpretation, I tried to write & run the Python equivalent, like
so:
      rdd1.aggregateByKey(0, lambda a,b: (a[0] + b, a[1] + 1), lambda a,b:
(a[0] + b[0], a[1] + b[1]))

Sadly, it didn't work, yielding the following exception which indicates that
the indexing above is incorrect:
    lambda v: seqFunc(createZero(), v), seqFunc, combFunc, numPartitions)
    File "<input>", line 1, in <lambda>
    TypeError: 'int' object has no attribute '__getitem__'

Sidenote: Surprisingly, there isn't much documentation -- at least not for
Python -- for this useful aggregateByKey()
method and use case; although I will be sure to write a gist today, once I get
this working. :)

I think I'm nearly there though, so...
    (1) Is my written interpretation above about of what (a,b) are correct?
    (2) If yes, what then, is getting passed in the Python case?

I guess I'm looking for the Python equivalent to the first statement in
Silvio's answer (below). But my
reasoning to deconstruct and reconstruct is missing something.

Thanks again!