Some more diagnostics/suggestions:

1) are other services listening to ports in the 4000 range (run
"netstat -plunt")? Maybe there is an issue with the error message
itself.

2) are you sure the correct java version is used? java -version

3) can you revert all installation attempts you have done so far,
including files installed by brew/macports or maven and try again?

4) are there any special firewall rules in place, forbidding
connections on localhost?

This is very weird behavior you're seeing. Spark is supposed to work
out-of-the-box with ZERO configuration necessary for running a local
shell. Again, my prime suspect is a previous, failed Spark
installation messing up your config.