Hi Masood,

Thank you very much for your insight.
I am going to scale all my features as you described.

As I am beginners, Is there any paper/book that would explain the suggested
approaches? I would love to read.

Many Thanks,
Best Regards,
Carlo

On 7 Nov 2016, at 16:27, Masood Krohy
<masood.kr...@intact.net<mailto:masood.kr...@intact.net>> wrote:

Yes, you would want to scale those features before feeding into any algorithm,
one typical way would be to calculate the average and std for each feature,
deduct the avg, then divide by std. Dividing by "max - min" is also a good
option if you're sure there is no outlier shooting up your max or lowering your
min significantly for each feature. After you have scaled each feature, then
you can feed the data into the algo for training.

For prediction on new samples, you need to scale each sample first before
making predictions using your trained model.

It's not too complicated to implement manually, but Spark API has some support
for this already:
ML: http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/ml-features.html#standardscaler
MLlib:
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/mllib-feature-extraction.html#standardscaler