Alright, so it is a big project which uses a SQL store underneath.
I extracted out the minimal code and made a smaller project out of it and
still it is creating multiple instances.

Here is my project:

├── my-datasource.iml
├── pom.xml
├── src
│   ├── main
│   │   ├── java
│   │   │   └── com
│   │   │       └── shubham
│   │   │           ├── MyDataSource.java
│   │   │           └── reader
│   │   │               └── MyDataSourceReader.java

MyDataSource.java

package com.shubham;

import com.shubham.reader.MyDataSourceReader;
import org.apache.spark.sql.SaveMode;
import org.apache.spark.sql.sources.v2.DataSourceOptions;
import org.apache.spark.sql.sources.v2.DataSourceV2;
import org.apache.spark.sql.sources.v2.ReadSupport;
import org.apache.spark.sql.sources.v2.WriteSupport;
import org.apache.spark.sql.sources.v2.reader.DataSourceReader;
import org.apache.spark.sql.sources.v2.writer.DataSourceWriter;
import org.apache.spark.sql.types.StructType;

import java.util.Optional;

public class MyDataSource implements DataSourceV2, ReadSupport, WriteSupport {

  public DataSourceReader createReader(DataSourceOptions options) {
    System.out.println("MyDataSource.createReader: Going to create a
new MyDataSourceReader");
    return new MyDataSourceReader(options.asMap());
  }

  public Optional<DataSourceWriter> createWriter(String writeUUID,
StructType schema, SaveMode mode, DataSourceOptions options) {
    return Optional.empty();
  }
}

MyDataSourceReader.java

package com.shubham.reader;

import org.apache.spark.sql.sources.v2.reader.DataSourceReader;
import org.apache.spark.sql.sources.v2.reader.InputPartition;
import org.apache.spark.sql.sources.v2.reader.SupportsScanColumnarBatch;
import org.apache.spark.sql.types.StructType;
import org.apache.spark.sql.vectorized.ColumnarBatch;

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;
import java.util.Map;

public class MyDataSourceReader implements DataSourceReader,
SupportsScanColumnarBatch {

  private Map<String, String> options;
  private StructType schema;

  public MyDataSourceReader(Map<String, String> options) {
    System.out.println("MyDataSourceReader.MyDataSourceReader:
Instantiated...." + this);
    this.options = options;
  }

  @Override
  public StructType readSchema() {
    this.schema = (new StructType())
        .add("col1", "int")
        .add("col2", "string");
    System.out.println("MyDataSourceReader.readSchema: " + this + "
schema: " + this.schema);
    return this.schema;
  }

  @Override
  public List<InputPartition<ColumnarBatch>> planBatchInputPartitions() {
    System.out.println("MyDataSourceReader.planBatchInputPartitions: "
+ this + " schema: " + this.schema);
    return new ArrayList<>();
  }
}

spark-shell output
scala> spark.read.format("com.shubham.MyDataSource").option("query",
"select * from some_table").load.show

MyDataSource.createReader: Going to create a new MyDataSourceReader
MyDataSourceReader.MyDataSourceReader:
Instantiated....com.shubham.reader.MyDataSourceReader@69fa5536
MyDataSourceReader.readSchema:
com.shubham.reader.MyDataSourceReader@69fa5536 schema:
StructType(StructField(col1,IntegerType,true),
StructField(col2,StringType,true))
MyDataSource.createReader: Going to create a new MyDataSourceReader
MyDataSourceReader.MyDataSourceReader:
Instantiated....com.shubham.reader.MyDataSourceReader@3095c449
MyDataSourceReader.planBatchInputPartitions:
com.shubham.reader.MyDataSourceReader@3095c449 schema: null
|col1|col2|

Here 2 instances of reader, MyDataSourceReader@69fa5536 and
MyDataSourceReader@3095c449 are being created. Consequently schema is null