Todd, thank you this was a huge help!

I've followed what you did and added it into a demo project that isn't much
more complicated than what you provided, just so I know how it all works.

One of the things I found the hard way is if you move to Shiro 1.4 (the
latest) it won't start...

I would like to turn your project into an struts2/shiro integration guide
(although the provided project is quite straight forward). I'm using JPA
services to get my user credentials so a bit of a guide there wouldn't
hurt, so next step is to figure out how to make that work with shiro.

Regards,
Ken