I have had some issues this past week, trying to come up with a way to cleanly
connect to my, MySQL database. I know this is not necessarily a struts issue,
but I am betting that there is no one on this list who is not using some type
of database in the back-end.

Now I have the O'Reilly book on Struts, and using the ObjectRelationalBridge is
a little too large for me to take on currently, same as Hibernate or anything
else I would have to research thoroughly. I just need a solid, simple way to
grab a connection from a pool, use it in a Business Object and call it a day.
Since I am running on Tomcat 5.5, I have tried to incorporate the DBCP from
jakarta into my struts stuff. Problem is most examples do not work, or are
incomplete for the 5.5 Tomcat, and I cannot find any decent examples of doing
this.

I am basically Running Mysql, and Tomcat 5.5, and struts 1.2. I really do not
want to use the data-source in struts, as I intend to use a solution that will
not be depreciated in the next release. Could anyone throw me a bone here. I
have searched google to death for good examples, but come up with outdated
examples, or incomplete. The examples for Tomcat make you use JNDI, and I am
not sure if that is the way to go.

Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott