Norris Shelton wrote:

It is better to be over-documented, than under.  Also, I would
use the full package name on objects.  Nothing is more fun than
trying to figure out an object when it's in more than one
package (like ALL the client certificate code) or it's in some
library that you have never seen.
Slightly agree, but again, in general, this usually over-obfuscates (for me, anyway :)

Part of why I say that is because I almost never touch Java code outside of an IDE these days: I hover, it tells me what I need to know; I double-click an can go to the declaration, etc.

I'd probably use a comment here rather than messing with the mainline code, though.

In my own code it's pretty rare I'll have an in-line comment. I'll comment large functional blocks of code, and I JavaDoc most everything pretty thoroughly (except packages, which I need to get in the habit of). That said I rarely have methods that are very long, I use descriptive variable and method names, and that seems to eliminate most confusion.

Dave