I found the solution in a post to another thread from
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Are you using Windows? Than this it no tomcat specific problem. yout
struts.jar is not deleted because windows locks this file. i had the same
problem. the solution is to add the directory META-INF to your project. put
a file named context.xml into it with the following lines:

<Context reloadable="true" antiResourceLocking="true"> </Context>

when the attribute antiResourceLocking is set to true tomcat does not use
this one but works with an internal copy of it so that windows does not lock
it. then everything works fine...

Peter