A lot of the code has migrated from the ActionServlet to the RequestProcessor
and then onto Commons Actions in 1.3.0.
The interesting thing in the future will this work make programming
action-oriented frameworks easier and better or actually worse?

I get the feeling that it will be better because actions or commands
will be more coarse grain, and most of the business database code
can be transfered out of actions to the data layer. The data layer
can itself be composed of it's own chain of commands.

> Struts has always been about providing the glue, or "struts", between
> existing standards. And, unsurprisingly, that's exactly what Shale is
> trying to do. AFAICT, Shale is about as Struts-like as JSF can get. At
> least without sacrificing the intent of the JSF architecture.
>
> Meanwhile, the great thing about WebWork is that our communities have
> the same perspective. WebWork integrates several foundation packages,
> like XWork, OGNL, and FreeMarker, into a coherent framework that any
> Struts developer will find familiar. (Especially if you've been
> tinkering with 1.3.)
>
> IMHO, I don't see the engineering value-add of a "one size fits all"
> framework. A framework is a semi-complete application, and action/page
> applications are built differently than event/component frameworks.
> Since the applications are different, the frameworks should be
> different too.

IMHO what attracted lots of developers to Struts was it was
pretty focused already. It did one thing very well, a model 2
blueprint MVC framework for Java. It was a also lightweight
enough for other to embed it in a bigger valid-add framework,
e.g Expresso, or supply additional valid-add extensions Tiles,
Workflow, et etc. The problem is always trying to anticipate
change and innovation, keeping an implementation robust and solid,
but providing enough abstracts and interfaces to allow
flexibility.

Struts was never perfect in the first place, so it could never
taken as one size fits all.
Richard Oberg took what Struts and fixed some of the architecture
critism with Struts for his own framework, WebWork 1.x.
In fact Rod Johnson in first EJB Expert book had a right-go
(severe critique) at Struts, and attacked the fact that ActionForm
was not an interface, and that Action was not an interface.

It is good thing to fix Struts architectural problems. The second
problem is that of productivity. Struts 2.x, I feel, much bring
some productivity gains for web developers, as Rick Reuman bemoaned,
in order to get it to the next level.

> Some people in our community want to dive into JavaServer Faces, and
> others want to pursue the tried-and-true action-orientated approach.
> Rather than burn bridges, we're built a bigger roof :)

Yep

There are two web application architecture out there co-existing and competing

1) Component-Oriented

2) Action-Oriented

If you can bridge these two then you're probably onto a winner, but it is
very unlikely

==////==

--
Peter Pilgrim :: J2EE Software Development
Operations/IT - Credit Suisse First Boston,

disclaimer:

http://www.csfb.com/legal_terms/disclaimer_external_email.shtml