On Wed, October 31, 2007 10:19 am, Ingo Villnow wrote:
> i want to call an action by javascript, when a value in a <html:select>
> field changes. I want to fill my <html:form> with the data provided by
> the action. Any ideas? I don't know a lot of javascript :-(

There's a couple if ways you could do that... one would be to call the
submit() method of the form object, which every form in HTML has, then
re-render the page with the updated data in the form.  That's of course
going to refresh the entire page, which I suspect isn't what you want.

So, AJAX is probably what you want.  Now, how you go about doing that,
well, there's a few hundred options :)  Because you don't know a lot of
Javascript, you might want to consider the AjaxParts Taglib (APT) from
Java Web Parts (JWP):

http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net

Direct to APT:

http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net/javadocs/javawebparts/ajaxparts/taglib/package-summary.html

If you go to the download page, the cookbook has some examples that are
very much along the lines of what you're asking for.  If you go that
route, we'll be more than happy on the JWP mailing list, or forums.

Otherwise, prototype (http://www.prototypejs.org) is a good, simple
option, but you will be writing some Javascript.

> thanks & greetings from Berlin

hth,
Frank