On Wednesday 01 July 2009 21:56:17 Dimitrios Christodoulakis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while doing development I am conforming to the versions provided by
> our hosting service. I am trying to select the most suitable version
> of the framework, java and tomcat so, just wanted to ask if there are
> known compatibility issues with the following combination:
>
> Fixed:
> jdk1.5.0_17
> Tomcat5.5
>
> Next I want to select Struts2, Spring and Hibernate. So before going
> ahead, downloading all the jar files, would you recommend specific
> versions to go with the given specification above?
>
> struts2.1.6 or struts2.0.14 ?
>
> would the current/latest version of spring and hibernate 3 work with
> the above tomcat and jdk? Or which versions are appropriate?
>
> struts 2 comes with the required spring jars (just for dependency
> injection only) included if I am not mistaken.
> Hibernate 3 ?
> Is there an online resource somewhere where there is such matching of
> versions discussed, with recommendations given just which versions of
> which components to select?
>
> If anyone could suggest a working combination, would help a lot.
>
> Thanks to all.

Have you considered using apache maven? I mean, it sort of builds up a
dependency graph for you, based on the artifacts you want. That being said, in
today's world of loose coupling, most of these libraries work together through
interfaces and such so that you can pretty much pick and choose which versions
you want. I am currently using Struts 2.1.6, Spring 2.5.6 and whatever the
latest versions of hibernate's JPA implementation was in early May.

As far as the choice between 2.1 and 2.0 for Struts, I would suggest going
with 2.1 if you are starting a new app. New plugins, etc. are likely to be
built against 2.1, so you will be doing yourself a favor by starting with 2.1.

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice