Thanks for the detailed information Wes, this was useful. I was able
to finally integrate Struts2.1.6, Spring2.5.3 and hibernate3.
WEB-INF/lib became quite bloated with all the jars though :) - I think
35 jars... is it too many perhaps?

I am not sure if there is a way around it, but during this effort to
simply integrate these frameworks I was getting exceptions of the kind
classNotFoundException, but the logs didn't give information which jar
containing the missing class was corrupt, or just not under the /lib
folder. So I had to do a search on the exception and find out which
jar the class is contained in, then download and include the jar in
the /lib folder.

Is there a tool, a quick way, or an eclipse specific trick (?) to tell
right-away which jar is missing from my dependencies just by looking
at the exception? Eclipse console provides a view of the Tomcat log,
so it would be nice to see something like: "ClassNotFoundException:
org.blah.blah.class", you are probably missing "this.jar"