Hi,
a ConnId Connector Server [1] can be essentially seen as a remote container for connector bundles.

Normally, Syncope is configured to look up for connector bundles from a local directory, but there are more options [2], including referencing connector servers.

Once a (Java or .Net) connector server is set up and running, Syncope will be able to use the connector bundles deployed there as if they were instead deployed in a local directory.

As you can imagine, this is especially useful when, for example, you are running Syncope on Linux but need to provision by using PowerShell scripts, which require to be run on Windows.
In this case, all you need is to

1. deploy a Java connector server on Windows
2. deploy the ConnId CMD bundle [3] onto such connector server
3. write the PowerShell scripts
4. configure Syncope (as explained in [2]) for using such connector server
5. use the Admin Console to configure the CMD bundle as if it was
   deployed locally

The communication between Syncope and ConnId connector servers is based on a TCP protocol defined by ConnId, which can also use SSL (as explained in [2]).

HTH
Regards.