Dan, no need to be sorry, happy to help.

Long story short, if you want to have control over a property (in any
kind of java) you should provide a getter and setter (opinion).  I think
once you do that you will be able to use the annotations as laid out in
the docs and mentioned below in your email.  If that does not work then
we can look at the aegis file.

Your aegis snippet below looks good but there are some other rules that
you must follow for them be effective.

1.  The names of the file MUST be <CLASSNAME>.aegis.xml
2.  The file must be available to the classloaded in the same package as
the class it refers to.

In the logs from XFire it should report which classes it found mapping
for and which ones it doesn't this is very useful for confirming that
your mapping is at least being detected even if it is not working
correctly yet

Let us now how you get on.

BTW if you are using Java6 and just starting you should REALLY CONSIDER
CXF instead. It is a merge of Xfire and Celtix, and it should be
considered to be Xfire 2, in other words XFire is finished, I will be
moving to CXF when I am allowed use Java 5.

http://cwiki.apache.org/CXF20DOC/index.html

Gavin

Gavin Hogan
Programmer/Analyst