I had the same problem. I fixed it by adding:

        <filter>
                <filter-name>springRequestContextFilter</filter-name>
<filter-class>org.springframework.web.filter.RequestContextFilter</ filter-class>
        </filter>

        <filter-mapping>
                <filter-name>springRequestContextFilter</filter-name>
                <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
                <dispatcher>FORWARD</dispatcher>
                <dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>
        </filter-mapping>