Ryan Jendoubi wrote:
> LO macros would definitely be a good skill to learn eventually, even if it's
> not at the top of my todo list at the moment. I haven't yet searched for any
> tutorials or the like, but I'd be interested to hear if you have any
> personal favourites which you think would suit someone who knows general
> programming and just needs an intro to the syntax, conventions and
> frameworks / objects involved in LO scripting.
>
> That said, I've noticed there are at least four different languages one can
> use. I don't know if any of them would allow writing scripts which are
> broadly cross-compatible with other office suites (even if a little tweaking
> is needed) but my preference would be for that, so I could help non-LO-using
> friends and such.

The "standard" scripting language used in LO is StarBasic (as far as I
know), which is very much like VBA (visual basic for applications).  I
actually learned the language while writing VBA macros in MS Excel.
Unfortunately I don't know of a good manual/tutorial for either.

I personally dislike the Basic language, but it is useful sometimes.
I'm not enthusiastic about it, but I think sticking to Basic would be
the more "cross-compatible".  I've imported a few Excel files into LO,
and the VBA macros imported just fine (minor modifications are done to
the code when imported).  I have no idea about the other direction
though (LO file to Excel).

Regards
Stephan