Hi :)
Hopefully none of the devs write-up documentation for the features they write
in!
1.  It's a different skill-set.  We, well i, would prefer to see devs able to
fly through coding and keep on going rather than worrying that if they do the
code then they have chores to do afterwards as punishment.  Ok, so some devs
are superb at both.
2.  Translating from pure geek into something comprehensible takes a lot of
effort which could probably be best spent exploring the new feature and seeing
if it really works for a not-quite-so-geeky person.
3.  "mere users" are often superb at documentation, especially people that are
new to the project.  The aim of documentation is to write for new people, or
people that are new to the aspect they are reading-up about.  Who understands
them better than other new people that have just managed to battle their way
through whatever the chapter is about.  It would be a huge help to have new
people proof-read chapters before they get published to the wiki or at least
before they get added to the official LO website.  Usually one person writes,
then another proof-reads (bit of a simplification).  Unfortunately such people
quickly become quite skilled because they learn a lot quite fast so we
constantly need other newer people to join the docs team.

Dan is a total star and does a lot of work in a lot of lists and his work on
the first 2 chapters of the Base Guide  inspired other people to get on with
translating the Base part of the Faq and that led to a lot of interesting
discussions on the user list.  A couple of people from the user list then
seemed interested in getting involved as devs to build-up Base a bit.  It's the
first time i have heard of documentation being a driving force in an OpenSource
project!
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq#Base

Sorry about the generalisation about the in-built help.  It is good and useful
because it's so easy to access but the chap already had that bit and i wanted
to point out another better way of getting help.  Sometimes something is so
close to be perfect but there are just not enough resources to put the icing on
the cake and that leads to a lot of frustration and angst.  If it was really
horrible then people wouldn't care so much and they would just avoid it.