Hi :)
I think disdain is possibly closer than hatred.  I think bioth are quite far
away from the reality though.  I think it's simply that people would rather
develop tools that are more robust and less susceptible   to malware and
slow-downs.

I think once you start using OpenSource tools you begin to realise that MS seem
to have deliberately built-in vulnerabilities and their slow-downs.  FOSS
doesn't seem to suffer anything like as much, although a bit of "system rot" is
inevitable in almost any system.

I'm just installing Win7 on a handfull of machines and am able to make a couple
of tweaks that prevent their "Virtual Memory" from getting so heavily
fragmented.  In previous versions of their OS i have found it significantly
reduces the slow-downs if you can do this early on.  On Win7 it takes an extra
couple of clicks but it's still really easy.  I always wonder why the default
is to set it to fragment as quickly as possible.  It's only with Win7 that
their de-fragger tool can defrag system files such as the Virtual Memory (err
that is Swap to Gnu&Linux geeks lol).

 fixed/closed, in that MS no longer