> On Feb 13, 2015, at 9:41 AM, Tom Davies <tomc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi :)
> Ok, you are not being a moron.  I wasn't trying to be funny of anything.
> The software is doing exactly the right thing and even has a little pop-up
> that people have to choose which way the existing cells have to go.  So it
> really shouldn't be a problem at all.
>
> However people often create spreadsheets to do things that would probably
> be best done in some other program.
>
> A classic is to have a long list of numbers, and then those numbers
> repeated but split out across a table into different columns.  Sometimes
> this is done using equations and codes but usually that just confuses the
> sorts of people who end-up typing the numbers in.  Then each column is
> totalled-up and the total of the columns 'should' match the total of the
> long column, of course.
>
> This type of Cash-book approach shows the total spent on each budget
> heading and then also the total amount for the period.  Ideally it would be
> done in GnuCash, Sage Instant/Line50, Quickbooks or some-such.  However
> those are quite expensive (except GnuCash which is free and therefore
> usually assumed to be not-as-good) and then there are expensive training
> programs on how to use the expensive ones.  So it's a lot cheaper for
> people (and easier for them to understand)  to just start typing numbers
> into a spreadsheet and then kinda muddle along from there.
>
> This only sometimes leads to problems, such as the sum of the whole list
> not being the same as the total of the budget headings or not matching cash
> in the bank (after eliminating expected payments and expected income that
> either isn't quite on the bank statement or hasn't been typed into the
> cash-book yet).  However when a problem DOES happen it's usually quite
> tricky to find out where things went wrong because everything still looks
> quite neat in a print-out even if the figures typed in were horribly wrong
> (we all make tpyos right?).
>

> So the problem is that when people insert a few cells they might well not
> realise that they are also moving cells that are part of some calculation
> either at the bottom of the sheet or elsewhere - and they might not be
> thinking about that because they are trying to juggle too many other points
> at the same time (such as is this zero-rated for tax or exempt or at a
> different level and does some of the payment have to go in one cell but a
> bit more of it appear in other columns and does this fit this column/budget
> heading or that one?)
>
> So, yes it's a user-problem, a classic pebcak but it can often be a
> reasonable error.

          Yes, but we can modify software to make it easier to use, like
issuing a warning when a change that would break a multi-cell reference like
this would produce "an incorrect or unexpected result" (usually called a bug).
If so, the default behavior should be to issue a warning before producing the
said "incorrect or unexpected result", with the current behavior as the default
option.  [Thanks to Tom(?) for arguing effectively for this default.]

          Such a feature request would be appropriate if the vast majority of
changes that would break a multi-cell reference like this are unintended.  Does
anyone seriously suggest that's not the case?

          Thanks to all who commented.

          Spencer