Some added thoughts with a fresh brain this morning:

1. I like the embedded help because it's quicker to use. Also, in good traditional fashion, I pretty much expect it to be updated more frequently than a printed manual, even if that manual is in electronic format.

2. Once upon a time (remember I've been around since the days of Hollerith cards and paper tapes), there were two types of manuals: User Manuals and Reference Manuals. The user manuals were more conceptual and tutorial, helping people learn how to use a program (yes, I still call them programs rather than apps -- apps are for mobile devices, which I don't use for computing; I still talk about directories instead of folders, too). The reference manuals were just that -- details about the various commands, functions, subroutines, etc. The reference manual aspect is what I really look for in the embedded help. The user manual is what I tend to go to the PDF version to find.

Dave