On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 23:05:44 -0700
John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> dijo:

OK, I didn't go to bed yet and tried a couple more things.

I have a second computer with the same OS, the same LO, and most of the
same fonts and configs on it. I placed copies of the two 'corrupt'
files on a USB stick and moved it to the other computer, then
double-clicked on each. They both opened without a problem in LO.
Conclusion: There is nothing at all corrupt about the files.

Then I copied the Default.ott file from this computer and moved it to
the config folder on the computer with the problem. (I had already
renamed its Default.ott file by appending -old to it.) Then I launched
Writer and got the same error message that Default.ott was corrupt.

Note that if there is no Default.ott file Writer complains that the
file is missing, but opens normally anyway. If there really is a
Default.ott file (and it is known good), Writer says the Default.ott
file is corrupt, and if you ask it to repair it, it says it cannot be
repaired.

On the problem computer I copied and pasted the 'corrupt' document from
Abiword into a new Writer document, then saved it as a new .odt file.
However, the .odt file was -0- bytes.

I noticed a lot of problems opening files because Writer says the file
is in use (even when it is not in use). After a bit of experimenting I
discovered that LO is not deleting the lock files when a document is
closed.

As I go to bed I am thinking of nuking LO on the problem computer and
installing the version from LO instead of the version from the repos.
But I have a lot of add-ons installed (Zotero, etc.) plus a lot of
optional LO utilities. Is there a guide somewhere for how to nuke all
of it and then put it all back the way it was?