Thanks, John. You are right. I always have to complicate things!

On 6/3/20 4:33 am, John Kaufmann wrote:
On 5/3/20 6:28 pm, Keith Bates wrote:
I have been using the voice typing feature in Google Chrome to write some documents, then download them in .odt format for editing.

I find that it consistently starts a new paragraph with a lower case first letter. So I need to find the first letter of every paragraph in the document and convert it to upper case.

I thought of using Find and Replace with Regular Expressions, which is easy. ^[:lower:] finds every lower case letter which is the first letter of a paragraph. But when I enter [:upper:] in the replace box it simply pastes the text [:upper:] . I have both the "match case" and "regular expressions" boxes ticked.

Is there a way to do this other than going through the document ad replacing manually?

On 2020-03-05 04:00, Keith Bates wrote:
To answer my own question:

1. Use the Find and Replace box and Reg. Exp.. Click on "Find All".
2. Close "Find and Replace" dialog.
3. Right click on one of the highlighted letters. Format- Text- Upper case

Keith, I like your solution (and Brian's, which is as elegant as the way he presented it), but am confused about step 3: do you /really/ right-click (for context menu)? From step 1, you already have the first letter of each paragraph in focus; don't you just go from there to the main menu <Format-Text-UPPERCASE>? [The order of steps 2 and 3 has no effect - or, to put it another way, step 2 is not essential to your solution.]

John