Hi Richard, I had the same problem with one of my SMSC in Mexico.  Without the
esm_class parameter you are out of luck when it comes to the concatenated
(concat) message.  The concat has to be set in the PDU package, so the SMSC has
to provide you that.  By default Kannel tries to concat the message, so you
don't have to do anything but educate your SMSC provider ;)

On another note, I worked with US mBlox, Mexico, and Latin America carriers and
have a pretty tight relationship.  Let me know if there is anything I could
help out.

Cheers,
Marcelo