Yup, I have tried this already. But enabling DLR with remote SMSC comes at
the cost of reducing the overall SMS sending speed by half. Meaning, if I
have a bandwidth of 100 SMS/sec, enabling DLR will actually give me 50
SMS/sec effective speed, with remaining speed being taken by DLRs.
Additionally, DLR handling will put more load on my DB, as well as
additional application DB reads (for checking status 8). On paper, it seems
like more performance sacrifice than the gain.