Thanks Jeff I have it now.

-----Original Message----- From: Jeff MAURY
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 10:26 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Installation glitch!

Probably because you have spaces in the directory where you installed Maven
(C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation)

Regards
Jeff MAURY

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM, MH <martinleeharri...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Hi

I am a first time user of maven and new to open source in general. I have
downloaded the latest version .bin file and followed the instructions
“copied and pasted” below:
Windows 2000/XP
 1.. Unzip the distribution archive, i.e. apache-maven-3.0.3-bin.zip to
the directory you wish to install Maven 3.0.3. These instructions assume
you chose C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation. The subdirectory
apache-maven-3.0.3 will be created from the archive.
 2.. Add the M2_HOME environment variable by opening up the system
properties (WinKey + Pause), selecting the "Advanced" tab, and the
"Environment Variables" button, then adding the M2_HOME variable in the
user variables with the value C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-maven-3.0.3. Be sure to omit any quotation marks around
the path even if it contains spaces. Note: For Maven < 2.0.9, also be sure
that the M2_HOME doesn't have a '\' as last character.
 3.. In the same dialog, add the M2 environment variable in the user
variables with the value %M2_HOME%\bin.
 4.. Optional: In the same dialog, add the MAVEN_OPTS environment variable
in the user variables to specify JVM properties, e.g. the value -Xms256m
-Xmx512m. This environment variable can be used to supply extra options to
Maven.
 5.. In the same dialog, update/create the Path environment variable in
the user variables and prepend the value %M2% to add Maven available in the
command line.
 6.. In the same dialog, make sure that JAVA_HOME exists in your user
variables or in the system variables and it is set to the location of your
JDK, e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_02 and that %JAVA_HOME%\bin is in
your Path environment variable.
 7.. Open a new command prompt (Winkey + R then type cmd) and run mvn
--version to verify that it is correctly installed.
After running several different permutations and attempting to gain an
expected response from the command prompt  using mvn –version the system
has proved to be not properly installed. The command mvn is not recognised.
I have a standard Windows 7 install with a fairly standard AMD processor.
Plenty of memory and disk space.

Can anyone identify what might be causing this phenomenon on my machine?

Many thanks

Martin Harrison

working and scaling.
- Bjarne Stroustrup