Thank you Guillaume. Check my response to Thorsten. I have the maven install functioning now with the proper paths installed.

-----Original Message----- From: Guillaume Polet
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 10:35 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Installation glitch!

Looks like mvn is not on your path (the purpose of step 2 thru 7 is to
have, one way or another, the bin directory of Maven in your path
variable). Note that after updating the environment variables you should
open a new terminal and not reuse an existing one. If that is not your
problem, could you post the output of the command set (just type 'set'
without the single quotes in a terminal).

Cheers,
Guillaume