I moved from Cactus and testing the running container, to using dependency
injection type patterns and testing them independently and/or with mock
objects.

i.e. Servlet is just a wrapper to a pojo of business logic, ejb get helpers
and other pojo injected, so everything can be tested separately.

Then use selenium hq to test the web tier, but still not found something
for testing jms or other jee components within a running container.