Design your apps so that things can be tested separately.

I maximize unit tests as much as I can with mocks. To ensure that the
container and the exposed web APIs are functioning correctly, I have
minimum integration tests with my app deployed via Cargo (through Maven
plugin) and tested by HTTP clients.

I have been hearing Arquillian a lot, it may be the next thing to look into.

Yuen-Chi Lian | www.yclian.com
"I do not seek; I find." - Pablo Picasso